Collins Aerospace Recreation Center
Collins Pickleball Tournament
View our E-commerece Policies
Web Page Responibilites & Policies
Sorry, registration is CLOSED
for this season.
P O S T I N G S
--- .pdf files ---
Pumpkin Smash Pickleball Tournament.pdf
L I N K S
The Recreation Center
P L A Y E R S (2018)
66 of 60 registered so far.
edited: September 21, 2018
Skill Rating Descriptions
• New and have only minimal knowledge of the game and rules.
• Limited to some rallies.
• Learning how to serve.
• Developing a forehand.
• Fails to return easy balls frequently and occasionally misses the ball entirely.
• Played a few games and is learning the court lines, scoring, and some basic rules of the game.
• Sustains a short rally with players of equal ability.
• Demonstrating the basic shot strokes forehand, backhand, volley, overhead and the serve, but has obvious weaknesses in most strokes.
• Familiar with court positioning in doubles play.
• Makes longer lasting slow-paced rallies.
• Makes most easy volleys and uses some backhands, but needs more work on developing shot strokes.
• Beginning to approach the non-volley zone to hit volleys.
• Aware of the “soft game.”
• Knowledge of the rules has improved.
• Court coverage is weak but improving.
• More consistent on the serve and service return and when returning medium-paced balls.
• Demonstrates improved skills with all the basic shot strokes and shot placement but lacks control when trying for direction, depth, or power on their shots.
• Beginning to attempt lobs and dinks with little success and doesn’t fully understand when and why they should be used.
• Demonstrates improved stroke dependability with directional control on most medium-paced balls and some faster-paced balls.
• Demonstrates improved control when trying for direction, depth and power on their shots.
• Needs to develop variety with their shots.
• Exhibits some aggressive net play.
• Beginning to anticipate opponent’s shots.
• Learning about the importance of strategy and teamwork in doubles.
• Consistent and dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand shots.
• Reliable serves, lobs, overheads, approach shots and volleys and can use spin shots with some success.
• Occasionally can force errors when serving.
• Rallies may be lost due to impatience.
• Uses the dink shot and drop shots to slow down or change the pace of the game.
• Demonstrates 3rd shot strategies – drop shots, lobs, and fast-paced ground strokes.
• Aggressive net play and teamwork in doubles is evident.
• Fully understands the rules of the game and can play by them.
• Beginning to master the use of power and spin, can successfully execute all shots, can control the depth of their shots, and can handle pace.
• Beginning to master the dink shots and drop shots and their importance to the game.
• Beginning to master 3rd shot choices.
• Displays sound footwork and moves well enough to get to the non-volley zone whenever required.
• Understands strategy and can adjust style of play and game plan according to the opponent’s strengths and weaknesses and court position.
• Serves with power and accuracy and can also vary the speed and spin of the serve.
• Understands the importance of “keeping the ball in play” and the effect of making errors.
• Making good choices in shot selection.
• Anticipates the opponent’s shots resulting in good court positioning.
• Mastered all the skills – all shot types, touch, spin, serves, with control and can use them as weapons.
• Excellent shot anticipation, extremely accurate shot placement and regularly hit winning shots.
• Forces opponents into making errors by “keeping the ball in play.”
• Mastered the dink and drop shots.
• Mastered the 3rd shot choices and strategies.
• Uses soft shots, dinks and lobs to set up offensive situations.
• Mastered pickleball strategies and can vary strategies and styles of play in competitive or tournament matches.
• Dependable in stressful situations as in tournament match play.
• Athletic ability, quickness, agility, and raw athleticism are also qualities that are sometimes what separates the top players from those near the top.
©2012 International Pickleball Federation
A N N O U N C E M E N T S
by: Lyle Theisen
posted: Friday, August 31, 2018
The First Annual, Pumpkin Smash Rockwell Collins Pickleball Tournament, will be held Saturday, November 10, 2018.
Registration will OPEN October 1st and CLOSE November 1, 2018
REGISTRATION IS FULL - WE HAVE RECEIVED ALL 60
On the day of the event, warmup will start at 8:30 a.m. - Play will Commence at 9:30.
We Supply the Balls
by: Lyle Theisen
posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018
We’ll be using ONIX Orange Balls…
* Skill levels may be combined
by: Lyle Theisen
posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018
On the left-hand column there is a link to fill in a Registration Form and Pay the $15 Fee On-line.
Registration will be limited to SIXTY players!
Don’t Have a Parnter?
by: Larry Tjaden
posted: Monday, August 20, 2018
If you don’t have a Partner and would like to play in the Tournament. We might be able to help...
List your Name, Phone and Email here - it will appear below for other potential partners to see - and maybe you can connect.
to fill in the form.
Lucy Cao 
The Collins Aerospace Recreation Center is solely responsible for the content of this web site. Such content does not necessarily reflect the views of Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Copyright © 2019 Collins Aerospace Recreation Center · All rights reserved.